Once upon a time, two food bloggers and their friends got together, watched Winnie-the-Pooh, made key lime pie ice cream, and ate it. And they lived happily ever after. The end.
And it can happen to you too! Here's how:
Heat the half-and-half and milk. Make it hot, but don't let it boil. Add the sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
Juice and zest the limes. Or, in our case, curse ourselves for not having a grater/zester and chop the zest by hand.
Separate the egg yolk from the white. Vigorously whisk the yolk. While whisking, slowly add about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture to the yolk. Pour that back into the pot with the rest of the cream. Yeah...we're missing that picture. Sorry!
Add the lime zest to the cream mixture.
Take the pot off the stove. Let cool, and chill for several hours in the refridgerator. Or, since we were feeling impatient, put it in an ice bath.
The cream should be very cold before you churn it. Pour the mixture into the ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer's directions.
About halfway through churning, add the lime juice.
About 5 minutes before the ice cream is done, add the graham cracker crumbs.
Once it's done churning, let it sit in the freezer for 2 hours or so, if you want. Otherwise, eat!
We chose the second option.
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
Inspired by Southern Living
Yields: 7-8 servings
Time: 3 hours
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
1 cup half-and-half
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Key lime zest (or just a normal lime)
1/3 cup Key lime juice (ditto)1/2 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers
- Mix together sugar, cornstarch, salt, milk, and half-and-half. Heat, stirring on the stove over medium heat for about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolk.While whisking, slowly add about 1 cup of the hot cream mixture to the yolk. Pour that back into the pot with the rest of the cream. Add the lime zest. Heat another 2 -5 minutes.
- Let cool for an hour or so. Place plastic wrap directly on cream mixture and chill 8 to 24 hours. Alternately, chill in an ice bath.
- Pour into ice cream maker. Follow the manufacturer’s directions. About halfway through churning, add the lime juice. About 5 minutes before the ice cream is done, add the graham cracker crumbs.
- Let sit in freezer for around 2 hours. Or, you could just eat it right away, like we did.
Monica & Caroline
Los ice-cream making amigos.